How can I get more referrals?
Some businesses depend on referrals more than others – in fact, the more valuable your customer transaction and lifetime value, the more important referrals are to you.
So, if you want more referrals, it’d be a good idea to get the process right!
Here are some rules:
- Be referable: you’ll only get referrals if you consistently act in a way that gets people talking about you for all the right reasons – and none of the wrong ones. (This is of course easy for us to say and much harder to do – for a simple powerful system on how to do this, please see my book ‘Great or Poor’).
- Continually mention in all your communication, your desire to do such a great job that you grow through referrals.
- Gather feedback using a quality professional system (not a cheap online one): if you want someone to go out of their way to refer you, you need to go out of your way to engage with them first.
- Split the feedback you get into 3 categories, using the net promoter system ®
- For the promoters, have a systematic approach to ask them for permission to ask them for a referral … you could perhaps call it an ‘introduction’ … don’t go charging in at the deep end, take it slowly.
- For the detractors and passives, have other systems which we talk about elsewhere.
- Know what type of referral you ideally need and have a set phrase to ask: something like: ‘We’re looking for people like you who want to [achieve result] without [issues that they’re worried about]’
- Take up the referrals professionally: have a set system and a professional manner.
- Follow up with the referrer and keep them in the loop.
- Have a quality ‘thank you’ system: maybe a specific gift, extra valuable service or special event.
For more information or a free e copy of my book ‘The Sniper Approach: how to get more referrals without the BS’, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org