How can I be a better leader?
I would guess that we all want to be better leaders – after all, better leaders get better results with less effort! So what do you need to do to become one?
Here are a few rules and ideas for you.
- Remember all customers are volunteers – internal and external customers – they want you to be a great leader, so they have something worthwhile to follow.
- See your internal customers as your no 1 priority – they’re the ones who need leading, inspiring and motivating to deal remarkably with your external customers
- Have a crystal clear statement of what you and the Organisation are REALLY about (we call this a ‘customer focused mission’ but don’t worry about the name: if people are hyper clear on exactly what does and doesn’t matter to the Organisation, and the values associated with it, then that’s the job done).
- Lead the Mission by example, and never deviate (even when times are hard)
- If you ever do have to deviate, tell your people why and when you’re returning, before any deviation happens.
- Manage your time effectively
- Communicate effectively at all levels – win/win thinking and agreements
- Gather feedback through simple systems and ‘management by wandering about’ obsessively
- Ensure everyone else does the same
- Use the feedback to understand people’s REAL needs, and Act effectively on feedback, little step by little step
- Keep going: it doesn’t matter how slow you go, as long as you never stop!
Remember, there’s not a lot of difference between ‘a great leader’ and ‘a bit of a prat’ … focus on small things done brilliantly … by the inch it’s a cinch, by the yard it’s hard.
There’s your answer to ‘how can I be a better leader’?
For free resources and help with leadership and management systems that actually work, please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll send you our free ebooks on this subject.